Last night Tessa had another minor "episode" of difficulty breathing which one breathing treatment helped. After that she rested comfortably so Noel went home and I met her midnight nurse and went to the waiting room to sleep for a while. At about 4 a.m. I had a call from Noel asking where I was. I guess the ICU nurses had called and said Tessa had had another couple of episodes and they were going to have to intubate (tube down the throat and connected to breathing machine) her. Not a good way to be woken up!!!
I ran to the room and they explained what was going on. Tessa was working her little heart out at breathing and they had a bag ready to help her breath if she stopped again.
They intubated her quickly and said she did well. Noel got here and we went back to see Tessa together. She was out of it (thank goodness!) and the ventilator was doing it's job. She started to "wake up" or the drugs were wearing off, and they could tell she needed to be suctioned. Ok, here is the gross/funny/relieving part, so read on at your own risk!... As they were suctioning her they could tell there was some thing bigger that needed to come up. Noel and I were there when they got ready to suction the second or third time and some brown thing came flying out of her tube and landed on the nurses (gloved) hand. The nurse was like, "Groossss!" and I think we all started laughing. Weird, at a time like this, huh? Noel's first comment was that it almost looked like a piece of William's dog food. That would NOT be a stretch since Tess has been fascinated with his food since the day she discovered it.
Honestly, I KNOW that prayer is completely working because Noel and I both commented on how peaceful we feel now that SOMEthing has come out of her airway. And Tessa woke up from sedation with her breathing tube and her tube to her belly and she is completely calm and watching us and t.v. It's just surreal!
I'm putting a picture at the bottom of this post just to show you how calm she is with all that is going on. My little angel! Or, my little drama queen... most kids eat something and poop it out eventually, right? Not our little Tessa... she has to INHALE things and then end up intubated in ICU. Oh man, we are in for a life of drama for sure!
Keep praying for us, because we are all 3 living proof that PRAYER WORKS!!!! Our God IS an AWESOME God!!!

3 comments:
OH Jess...I'm so sorry! That must have been the worst night ever! I am praying for you guys and if you need ANYTHING, call me!
Oh, for Pete's sake...dog food??? Please tell me it wasn't that simple! =/ Anyway, I'm glad something came up, even if it was gross! Does this mean the breathing troubles are over???
Jess! I am so sorry that you are going through this...thank God you're an RN and know what to do. You, Noel and Tessa are in our prayers. Call if you need ANYTHING!
Wendy
Post a Comment